Vanishing Point Trivia
· The car featured in the film is a 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T, with a 440 cubic-inch V-8, and not a 426 Hemi V-8 (as is often believed). Five white Challengers loaned from the Chrysler Corporation were used during the filming.
· The Challenger had Colorado plates: OA-5599
· There was actually four 440 Challenger R/Ts and one 383 Challenger R/T, which was an automatic with green interior. This one was used for some exterior shots and it pulled the 1967 Camaro up to speed so the Camaro could hit the bulldozers.
· As confirmed by property master Dennis J. Parrish, all of the cars were NOT originally white. They were just painted white for the film. During the scene where Kowalski has a flat tire, you can see green paint in the dents.
· Kowalski bets he can drive from Denver to San Francisco in 15 hours. This would require an average speed of 85 miles per hour.
· Despite the fact that the car driven by Kowalski is a 1970 Challenger, the US movie poster and the soundtrack actually show a 1971 Challenger. If this was a goof or just the result of Chrysler Corporation wanting to promote the latest model of the car is unclear. However, the British got it right on their poster for the film.
· Director Richard C. Sarafian's original choice for the role of "Kowalski" was Gene Hackman, but the studio, 20th Century Fox, insisted on using Barry Newman if the movie was going to be made.